Pursuant to K.S.A. 12-857, the Governing Body does hereby declare that the waterworks system owned and operated by the City and the sewage disposal system, including sanitary and storms sewers, pumping and lift stations, the sewage treatment plant and any and all appurtenances necessary in the operation of the same, owned and operated by the City, to be a combined waterworks and sewage disposal system, which system shall be operated .and financed as provided by K.S.A 12-856 et seq.

(Ord. 1160, Sec. 1)

Any person, firm or corporation desiring a connection with the municipal water system of this City shall apply in writing to the City Clerk on a form furnished for that purpose for a permit to make such a connection.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-101)

The City Clerk shall, upon receiving an application as provided in Section 12-102 hereof, if the same is in proper form, issue to the person or persons applying for the same, a permit to connect with the municipal water system. The cost of all cocks, service lines, meters and any other required material, together with the cost of installation thereof, will be charged at cost to the applicant. No such permit shall be issued until the applicant has paid at least the amount estimated to construct the connection.

(Ord. 1131, Sec. 1)

The Superintendent of Utilities shall have general supervision of the water system under the direction of the Mayor and Governing Body. He shall employee all personnel services, supervise the reading of meters monthly and make monthly reports to the Governing Body of the amount of water pumped and the total revenue and expenditures of the water system.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-103)

All water furnished by the municipal water system of the City shall be measured by meters.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-104)

Unless special permission is granted by the Superintendent of Utilities, each premise shall have a separate and distinct service connection, and where permission is granted for branch service pipes, each branch pipe must have its own curb cock and separate meter.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-105)

All excavations made by plumbers in public ground shall not be kept open longer than is absolutely necessary to make the connection required and while open shall be protected by suitable barriers, guards and lights and backfilling shall be thoroughly compacted and left in a condition satisfactory to the Street Commissioner, and where such excavations are unsatisfactorily filled, the Street Commissioner shall place them in satisfactory condition and the cost thereof shall be charged to the plumber, and his license will be suspended unless the said sum is paid.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-106)

Check valves be and the same are hereby required on all connections to steam boilers or on any other connection deemed by the Superintendent of Utilities to require one Safety and relief valves shall be placed on all boilers or other steam apparatus connected with the water system where the steam pressure may be raised in excess of forty (40) pounds per square inch.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-107)

Meters shall be installed in meter boxes or in a place satisfactory to the City Officials, and if, at any time, the consumer desires to have the meter tested for accuracy, the same shall be done by the City, and a fee of Five Dollars ($5) charged therefor to the consumer, if the meter registers ninety-five percent (95%) or more accurate. If the meter registers less than ninety-five percent (95%) accurate, it shall be replaced, repaired and tested.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-108)

For the purpose of reading meters, duly authorized employees of the Water Department of this City may legally enter upon any premises at a reasonable hour.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-109)

The maintenance responsibility for the municipal water system shall be performed by the City up to the consumers property line only, regardless of where the meter is located.

(Ord. 1131, Sec. 3)

Pursuant to K.S.A. 12-6a07, when a water main is to be constructed and installed in territory not formerly served and there is created a new water district, a benefit district for the payment of special assessment shall be designated therefor as provided by K.S.A. 12-6a01 et seq. If the water main is six (6) inches or less in diameter, one-half (1/2) of the cost thereof shall be assessed against such benefit district and the remaining one-half (1/2) of the cost shall be assessed to the City at large. If the main shall be in excess of six (6) inches in diameter, the cost of installation thereof shall be determined by the Governing Body at the time said water district is created by ordinance.

(Ord. 1047)

It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person in this City or any person owning or occupying premises connected to the municipal water system of this City to use or to allow to be used during a fire, any water from said water system, except for the purpose of extinguishing said fire, and upon the sounding of a fire alarm, it shall be the duty of every person to see that all water services are tightly closed, and that no water is used except in extraordinary cases of emergency during said fire.

(R.O. 1965, Sec 13-111)

It is hereby declared unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to take any water from the Municipal water system of this City, except when the same be drawn through a city approved meter, or from any premises not owned by him or them without the permission of the owner thereof.”

(R.O. 1965, 13-112; Ord. 1179; Code 2015)

Except for a duly authorized employee of the City Water Department, it shall be unlawful for any person to turn any curbcock or shut-off valve on or off.

In any prosecution charging a violation of this Section by the opening or turning on of a curbcock or shut-off valve, proof that the shut-off valve, or curbcock was turned off by a City employee due to the non-payment of the water account of said premises and the opening of said valve by someone other than a City employee shall constitute in evidence a prima facie presumption that the person responsible for the payment of the water services on said premises, be that the occupant, tenant or owner, was the person that tampered with and turned on said valve .to receive water.”.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-113; Ord. 1179; Code 2015)

If shall be unlawful for any person or persons to willfully destroy or injure the public sewer, or any part of the public waterworks system or any of the appurtenances to the municipal utility system without authority of the Governing Body or who shall uncover or in any manner disturb any appurtenances to the municipal utility system while altering the grade or elevation of their property, without the authority of the Governing Body.

(Ord. 9-903A)

(a)   On and after September 1, 2016, the rates to be charged for all users for water purchased from the City shall be as follows:

(1)   1 to 2,000 gallons - $15.00

(2)   2,001 to 9,999,999 gallons - $3.72 per 1,000 gallons or fraction thereof.

(b)   For water sold outside the limits of the City, the rate charged shall be one and one-half (1 ½) times the rates stated above.

(Ord. 1131; Ord. 1264; Ord. 1280; Code 2015; Ord. 1303; Ord. 1311)

Any person violating any of the provision of this article shall, upon conviction thereof be punished by fine not to exceed One Thousand Dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment not to exceed thirty (30) days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(R.O. 1965, Sec. 13-119)